14 September, 2010

Journey of Android Development -- Installed on Phone

After 'cutting my teeth' with the emulator I embarked on installing my simple app on my phone.

A couple setup steps that are worth mentioning for my Samsung Galaxy.

First, you need to enable the USB debugging on the phone. This is done by enabling Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging

By default, the usb connection is only accessible by the root user. You can leave it in this mode, but the consequence is that you'll have to start the adb server as root to attain the permissions to connect to the phone.

$ sudo adb kill-server
$ sudo adb start-server


After you've done this you'll be able to list and connect to the phone as a general user.

$ adb devices
List of devices attached
T9592dbc8xxx device


Now, you're able to connect to your phone in the same manner as the emulator.

Cheers.

No comments: